Monday, November 16, 2009

Thanks to this Terrarrium I'm No Longer a Plant Serial Killer

A few months ago Real Simple did a piece about modern terrariums and how easy they make keeping houseplants. I've never been able to keep a plant alive for more than a few weeks so I was excited to see how they worked. The article had great pictures of beautiful terrariums that were all $70 and over. This is the one I really liked and became determined to find a cheaper version of:

The No-Fuss Garden

The terrarium and saucer in the picture is $79 from Smith & Hawken. As pretty as it is there was no way I was going to spend 80 bucks. I searched and searched and searched. This find took a little longer than most, but I finally found a cloche at Home Goods for $9.99. I put the plant on a ceramic saucer and the whole thing cost about $25. Here's what mine looks like:


The chances of finding another cloche at a Home Goods any time soon is pretty slim since their inventory is constantly changing. Before I found the cloche for $9.99 I was using a glass dome from Pottery Barn. It wasn't ten bucks, but it wasn't 80 either. They have them for $19 and $29 with their cake stands (I used a gift card). It wasn't tall enough for the space I wanted to use it in, but it was still pretty and now it looks good in my kitchen.
Pottery Barn Glass Dome

No comments:

Post a Comment